Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I cannot forget the first time I met Brandon. He was laughing and teasing and playfully flirting with our math tutor who is 2x's his age. She introduced us because we shared her attention and that was a nice way to get to know him indirectly. The first thing he asked me is if I wanted to hear a joke. I do not remember the joke but I do remember him presenting me with a nice bag of assorted gourmet confections, on our first meeting! 

For the guys out there, the quickest way to a womans heart is a good laugh and candy afterwards. I was quickly swept off my feet with his sweet ways and warm heart. Being at least 6'2" I was more than drawn to him as a gentle giant. 

The next thing he asked me is what did I know about LDS. I said to him"...do you mean LSD?" "of course not...The Church of Latter Day Saints!..." "Oh, sorry..." "No." and he proceeded to tell me all about his faith and what it meant to him. I was again impressed with his convictions. As we strolled through campus, he asked to hold my hand. I said, "yes."

I trusted Brandon right away. I am not usually a trusting person so I was immediately surprised about that. I even gave him my home address. That is very unusual for me but I knew that he was plugged into a network that I felt could be trusted so I just relaxed and watched where this cute and playful relationship would go.

Brandon and I spent alot of casual time together. I eventually gave him a nic-name. He was just like a Bear to me. He wore it like a good sport. He started calling me little bear and before we knew it, we were, well, in love. I joined the LDS church and met his wonderful family. He showed me where he grew up and took me to all of the places for the best, cheapest mexican food. (He could stretch a dollar.) He would cook for me and we would watch movies but the best time we had was when I took him to see the Singing Flag on July 4th. He could not believe that such a show would be free. 

We were close and we talked about his life and his faith. We talked about his difficulties with his injury and the problems he had with self control. He was not afraid of death. He knew it would come someday. He also knew that if he could just help as many people find happiness while he was on earth, that he could accept his fate. I was so impressed with him for that. I knew he had as many lives going at the same time as a cat has nine lives in a row. At the time I was kinda uncomfortable with not knowing what he was up to. I was learning to live with my own fears. That was just one of the lessons I got from him.  So many more were to follow.

One day, I picked him up to go to an event. A girl with a daughter was outside his house. I did not know who she was but I knew she was trouble for me. It eventually turned out so... She was the daughter of a wealthy man and was younger than I by 10 or so years. I knew that she had his attention and I had to gracefully back out. It was very hard, after all, he persued me! Alas, in the end it was clear that I did not have his full attention so we ended it on a warm California night. I immediately called my ex-boyfriend for a breakfast date. 

We went to a small cafe in town and were laughing about old times when guess who shows up? Brandon and his new girlfriend. Don't you just hate that! I found out later that both of our hearts sank at that moment. He later told me that when he saw me with another man, he could not even eat his breakfast. That is very unusual for him being a giant guy. His girl noticed but did not recognize me.  I went through that day with a heavy heart. I realized I was in love with him and I just needed to work through it. I eventually did but will never forget seeing him again just to say how much I missed his companionship and bear hugs. 

He eventually moved with his mom to Pittsburg and I eventually moved to Northgate so I never saw him again. I dated and dated but never found another like Brandon. I eventually met Mr. Right and I am happy. Brandon told me I would. He always had a strong opinion about my continued happiness, now that I was a member of the Church. 

He is still a force in my life. A warrior for my happiness. That is how selfless he was and is in spirit. I miss you Brandon. I know you do not suffer and that is all I could ask from you.

Kate Rogers 10/29/2008

1 comment:

Shane Mosley said...

Kate,

Thanks for sharing such warm and personal memories of Brandon. He's a great man. Im glad we all were blessed to have him in our lives.

-Shane